Check Out + Renew
Most items may be checked out for 3 weeks. Exceptions include:
- DVDs: 1 week
- Magazines: 1 week
- Adult New Fiction: 1 week
- Library of Things: 1 week
- eBooks and eAudiobooks: 2 weeks
Our library is connected to other libraries throughout the state and nation. If you can’t find an item in this library, ask library staff to help you get it from another library for a fee of $3.00.
You can return your items at the following locations:
- Outside drop box located near the parking lot
- Inside the library at the Adult or Children Circulation Desks
Special items that must be returned to the circulation desk:
- Library of things materials
- Wifi Hotspots
- Vox Books and Wonder Books
Most materials may be renewed two times (if no one else has placed a request for the item):
- Online on your account
- By calling (515)832-9100 during our open hours
- In person at the circulation desk
You can place a hold:
- online on your account
- in person at the circulation desk
- by calling us at (515)832-9100
Your items will be stamped with the due date when you check out your items. If you are signed up for e-mail notifications, courtesy reminders are sent two days before an item’s due date. Overdue notices are sent shortly after your items are due.
Kendall Young Library no longer charges late fees on overdue items. However, items that are kept too long past the due date are considered lost, and the cost of the item will be due on your account.
Borrowing privileges are suspended if more than $5 is due on your account, or if you have 5 or more overdue items.
If an item is lost or damaged beyond repair, your account will be charged for the cost of the item.